Many of you have been asking about our little adventure with the HGTV show, Property Virgins, so I decided to write a wee update. We have completed 2 of 3 filming days. I can’t give details about the process, and I don’t want to spoil the show, so this will be brief. I just wanted to give a few highlights of the happenings thus far.
Though I was slightly dreading all of this, it has been surprisingly fun. Sure, there is a lot of standing around and chatting with the film crew while they set up cameras, hide microphones on your body, and fix lighting, but it has been fascinating to get a behind-the-scenes look at how TV is made.
A few random facts:
- Each filming day lasts about 8 hours…for a 22 minute show. Nuts.
- Our episode will not air until April of next year. Whaaaat. My sister-in-law stated it well: “Women’s fashion will be completely different by then. And your boys will be a whole number bigger.”
- There are eight people on the filming crew who travel from city to city, and live all over the country.
- Occasionally, we were filmed (and stalked) by this freaky, flying robot camera (aka, a drone). It sounded like 900 million bees buzzing overhead.
- A teeny peek at one of the houses we toured. Yes, we are weird.
- This is half of the back yard. It goes nearly as far as you can see. Amaaazing. Once you see the show and realize how miniature our house budget is, and how awesome these houses are, you will pack your bags and move to Charlotte.
- Between filming, we did a whole lot of this. Standing. Sitting. Staring. Sweating. Nothing at all.
Overall, we have had an enjoyably pleasant experience, and I am really glad that we had the opportunity to do this. Egypt (the host of the show) is a delightful person. I was impressed by her extensive and random knowledge about trees and plants. On the show, if you see us talking but can’t hear what we were saying, we were talking about trees or dogs. True story.
That’s all, friends. I don’t know how detailed I can get, so I don’t want to write anything more. I guess you will have to wait until April to find out. Only nine more months… 😉